Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blessings in Norway

I have to say that I feel incredibly fortunate for the life I have lived so far. Mind you, I have lived through unspeakable amounts of grief and sadness and somehow managed to muddle my way through it. Don't misunderstand me, I am not looking for sympathy, I am grateful for all of life's ups and downs, it has shaped me into the person I am today.

Three years and almost three months ago I decided to move to Norway to be with John, my boyfriend. We had never met in person prior to my arrival! Yes, I can almost hear a WHOA coming in through all of internets mysterious sensors. I had no choice but to move. It felt more right than anything I had ever done previously in my life. I followed by gut instinct. As strange as that might sound to some of you, it felt completely normal to me. I had no hesitations. I thought, well, if I don't do this I will regret it for the rest of my life. 

I needed a change, a positive change with new surroundings and inspiration.

I was in a very dark place grieving the loss of my then boyfriend to a viscous form of viral heart disease. I had to make an effort to get out of my apartment other than for work, so I decided to start joining the gym nearby. It really helped me to feel better about me. I needed to do something just for me and that was working well. One other major factor in my recovery was music. I can not live without it. I listen to it all the time and can not tell you how much of a factor it plays in my life.

Getting back to my move:
Months and months after I was getting back on my feet my best friend Melody started to talk about her cousin John in Norway ?!?! and how much she thinks we would get along due to the fact that we have many things in common. Of course, I wasn't really moved by the idea of him living in Norway. Especially since I thought Canada EH? was going to be the place for me where I would spend the rest of my life ( I had moved on my own to Canada at the age of 20 from Germany).
Well, after many attempts by Melody to get me interested in contacting John I finally agreed to get his e-mail address. Off I went to write him a bit about me without any expectations of any sorts. So it happens that I was very smitten with this Norwegian goodness. I couldn't resist him, nor his irresistible charm.
I would get home from work and couldn't wait to get on SKYPE to talk to him. It was the highlight of my day. We shared so many cool conversations, giggles, goals and dreams.
It got to the point where it got really overwhelming and we took a break for a couple of months.
After coming back from a visit in Germany I contacted him again. I never could get him out of my head. We started talking again on daily basis for about a month when John told me that he was going to move into another apartment and if I would like to move in with him! I was in a bit of disbelief and thought that it was just the heat of the moment that had captured him to ask me that. So I told him to think about it and we'll see if he still feels the same the next day. I had to admit that I didn't get much sleep that night thinking all sorts of thoughts....what if....what if...what if...and so on.
Well, the next day came and he still felt great about the prospect of my arrival to Tromsø, so did I and off I went to give notice at my job. I had a huge yard sale, sold almost everything and the rest I sent off to Norway.
Two months later I was at the airport in Tromsø with utter excitement and anticipation! 
There he stood, what looked like a calm and collected and handsome man, our eyes met and we embraced for a long time. It just felt so right. I know it sounds cliche, but it really felt like I knew him for a long time.

John has made every effort to help me get settled here. He couldn't have possibly done more. I am truly one of the luckiest girls to be able to have such a wonderful and honorable man. He is my best friend, my confidant and makes me want to be the best person possible. His constant encouragement and love has brought me to a place of contentment with who I am. His belief in me and my abilities make me want to thrive and push for things I never thought possible. Being with him makes me feel like I can reach for the stars.
I love that man ( I guess you can tell, huh)
You should see his music library! Truly unbelievable! He has the best taste in music ( in MY opinion) and I love it when he gets excited about having found a new artist he loves.
Have I told you that he can sing? He plays the drums in a local band. Unlike me, he can carry a great tune. He is good at so many things and knows how to use a tool if needed. He isn't afraid to try something new and has an adventurous spirit and a GREAT sense of humor.
I wouldn't want to trade my life for anything! I love you John!

xoxox

No comments: